Incredible Lessons I’ve Learned About Forms

A Guideline on How to Get W-2 Form from a Previous Employer

An individual has a personal responsibility over filing tax returns within the appropriate time as required by the Internal Revenue Service. A W-2 form is vital in this process since it provides an employee with essential information regarding their income from employment in the previous year. An employer has the responsibility of filling a W-2 form and submitting a copy of this to the IRS and the employee by 31 January every year. Employees, in turn, use the information in a W-2 form in the filing of their income tax returns. When one leaves their job, it is still required for them to get a W-2 form from their previous employer to be used in the filing of tax returns. It is thus necessary that one is familiar with what it takes to get a W-2 from the previous employer so that they will get the form in good time and submit the same within the appropriate timeframe as set by the IRS. Find some helpful information regarding what to do to get a W-2 from the previous employer.

A person can wait for the previous employer to send the W-2 by 31 January as would be the case on a regular basis. A person can also ask an employer to provide them with the W-2 form earlier than 31 January, whereby the employer must give the W-2 form within 30 days after the request is made.

When the W-2 doesn’t get to you by 14th February, it is necessary that one takes measures to get the W-2 from the previous employer. This is because you still need to submit your tax returns within the set timeframe regardless of the time when you get the W-2. You can ask your former HR representative to provide the W-2 form for you. If the company did not have an HR representative, you could contact the boss directly to ask them for the W-2. Make sure that the address you give is correct so that it gets to you.

It is possible for you to get your W-2 by contacting the payroll administrator. You may be required to confirm the necessary details of your employment as well as confirming your current address. Where the payroll administrator reports that the W-2 has already been mailed to you, you can ask for confirmation of the date, and you may also request for a replacement form.

One can also contact the IRS if the methods above do not work. You will need to have crucial information employer such as the employer identification number and information about your salary and wages. The IRS will contact the employer to get the missing form and can grant you a different form to fill out.

A Quick Overlook of Paperwork – Your Cheatsheet

Finding Similarities Between Paperwork and Life